LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Same side or staggered

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Nightstalkerusmc, Aug 4, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Nightstalkerusmc

Nightstalkerusmc New Member

1. Looking to see if you think that adding path lights There would be 4 on far side of door, 3 on near side of door.(Blue dots) along same side of walkway or stagger.. I realize most advice say to stagger, but I think possibly same side in this application There is already up lighting on the right side of the tree on the opposite side of walkway home 1.jpg home 2.jpg .
    2. Looking to see if 1 centered ground level spot light, widest beam angle would illuminate the plants in front of the picture window without shining into the window. Width of bed is about 18 feet.
    3. Looking to due similar ground level spot light to illuminate taller bushes on side of the house. ( width is about 30 feet) not sure to due 1 or 2 lights given the larger area.
    Thanks

Mesodude2 likes this.
  2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Hi, Nightstalkerusmc. I've provided some product links below for lighting fixtures I think might work well for your lighting plan. Further, I've linked to a discussion thread from earlier this year on path light placement. There are also sections on the VOLT website that will provide even better lighting choice and placement guidance. For your path lights, imo it's more important to consider what you want to accomplish with your lighting either (or both) in terms of utility and the overall effect you want to create as opposed to adhering to any hard and fast rules about aesthetics. I will say that if your goal is to evenly illuminate your entire walkway (vs creating defined pools of light), then there's really no practical reason to stagger your fixtures along the pathway.

I think a more suitable fixture for the foundation garden beneath that picture window (where you are considering placing a spotlight with a wide beam spread) would be one of the fixture types I listed below. IMO, even with a glare guard, you'll likely get a fair amount of light intrusion from a spotlight with a wide beam spread aimed directly at your house from that far out. Not saying your approach won't work. But if you’re going that route, an actual flood light would enable you to more effectively illuminate that whole garden area. The one I've listed is even dimmable and would definitely give you more bang for your buck. You could also minimize light intrusion and focus light into that area by placing one or more Innovator or Twinnovater fixtures in the back of the border garden and aiming the lights away from the house. And finally, you could simply place a couple of path/area lights with canopies in that mulched areas.

On the side of the house with the chimney (where I'm assuming light intrusion is less of a concern), your spotlight approach would probably work just fine. Really, it depends on the effect you're trying to create. You could highlight those roses and shrubs individually by placing the Innovator or Twinnovator lights behind those shrubs. Alternatively, you could front light the shrubs by placing a floodlight directly in front of them. Hope this helps.

https://forum.voltlighting.com/threads/sidewalk-and-steps.497/
    https://www.voltlighting.com/outdoo...i-all-star-innovator-brass/p/BVN-VPL-3025-BBZ
    https://www.voltlighting.com/12v-mini-all-star-twinnovator-path-light/p/VPL-3026-4-BBZ
    https://www.voltlighting.com/landscape-lighting-12v-floodlight-brass-wide-splash/p/BVN-VFL-4007-BBZ

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Nightstalkerusmc and Evan K like this.
  3. Nightstalkerusmc

Nightstalkerusmc New Member

Attached Files:

Evan K and Mesodude2 like this.
  4. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

You are welcome. Looking good! I especially like those cool shadows created by your shrubbery in front of the chimney. And because I’m used to seeing it up close, I would never have thought of that lattice as such a great blank backdrop (so I learned something new today). So what are your thoughts so far? Anything you really like or maybe re-thinking now that you’ve got things connected? Btw, thanks for sharing your fixture and lamp info. It’s often hard for people new to lighting to imagine what beam spreads, light color, and brightness will look like IRL and I’m sure other users will appreciate your info.

Evan K likes this.
  5. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

What if you mount a puck light or two inside the lattice, turning it into a giant bollard lamp?

One light would give a simple lattice pattern on the ground, but if you used 2 you would get a more complex criss-crossing pattern as the light diffused through the lattice at 2 different angles. You would have to experiment with wattages to vary how far the light would project, using either puck lights or low wattage floods.

Just a thought. Bob

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    Nightstalkerusmc and Evan K like this.