LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Wooden 4x4 12-15 VAC Post Cap Lights

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Mike Bosarge, Aug 12, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Mike Bosarge

Mike Bosarge New Member

I currently have two Volt 150W transformers installed with several spot lights - system works great. I want to use the installed system to light my front (and rear) entrance stairways 4x4 (wooden) posts. The Volt Post topper is just TOO big. I would like to install about 8 of them (4 each) - and it seems it will be just too much. any idea where I can find post top lights that are compatible with the 12 VAC system that will fit a wooden 4x4 post? Timbertech is the only (12 VAC) one I have found so far and it will NOT work with 4x4 wooden posts. Most I am finding are all 12 VDC. Any help appreciated.

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

By “TOO big” and “too much” I’m assuming you want something lower profile and a bit more budget friendly? If so, there’s probably something online that meets your criteria. Bear in mind, though, VOLT’s fixture is solid brass with a lifetime warranty and only 100 lumens. I haven’t done an exhaustive search but most of the smaller fixtures I’ve seen are made of aluminum or plastic and have way less generous warranties. Many of those I’ve seen are much less expensive but I’ve also seen many priced many times higher than VOLT’S fixture—even though they are of far less durable construction. Another thing to keep in mind is that unlike the VOLT post fixture, the light source is exposed on many other manufacturers’ post fixture models. As someone very particular about light levels, I can tell you that it’s easy to over do it. Mind you, I’m not trying to discourage you or make VOLT richer. I just want you to be aware of the trade offs to consider before deciding one way or the other.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Evan K likes this.
  3. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

Lowes has some stuff on their website. Lower profile but not exactly cheap and only a 5 year warranty.

Another option would be to install decorative wood post tops on the bare 4x4 posts and 8 Volt deck lights for a "finished" but subtle, low profile look.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  4. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I don’t have posts on my deck but when I get around to doing lights there, I would probably use the fixture below. Without seeing a photo of a scenario I’m usually hesitant to make recommendations. But it sounds like you are onto a decent workaround.

https://www.voltlighting.com/volt-dojo-deck-light-brass-bronze/p/VDL-6009-4-BBZ

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  5. Nightstalkerusmc

Nightstalkerusmc New Member

I am a big fan of VOLT lighting, However I had the same problem with post lights for my deck. I ended up going with the following from Tru-scapes for my needs
    Worked great with my VOLT 150 Transformer (these lites are AC/DC) They are 3 watts and 2700k for color which matches my other VOLT lites. Not sure on the length of life but they have been running well for 4 months now. (I did by a couple extra just in case they die)
    https://www.tru-scapes.com/product/ts-c104/

6. Nightstalkerusmc

Post lites

Attached Files:

Mesodude2 likes this.
  7. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

I wanted to thank everyone on this thread for their feedback regarding the size of our brass post top light - we thrive on this type of feedback to improve our brand!

And that is a beautiful deck @Nightstalkerusmc ! Some VOLT® Deck Lights could've looked just as beautiful on those posts! :D;)

Nightstalkerusmc and Mesodude2 like this.
  8. Nightstalkerusmc

Thank you Evan,
    I did look into the post mounted deck lights from VOLT, however wife and I decided we preferred the caps to be lit. On another note, just got my order in yesterday of VOLT path lights and a couple in ground spots.. Will be adding these hopefully this weekend!!