LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Wire questions & more :))

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Kurt Nilsen, Mar 10, 2022.

Share This Page

1. Kurt Nilsen

Kurt Nilsen New Member

Hello Volt experts...Kurt here.

I am planning my Volt project and getting ready to buy a bunch of stuff.

Question #1-I think...I'll only need 1-150W transformer. I want to make sure I've got the wattage/transformer calculations right. I'll have a total of 24 lights in a combination of path, spotlight, and floodlights lights.

The total estimated bulb wattage of all my lights equals about 110 watts. Using the 150W x 80 % rule I get 120 max watts for that transformer, correct?

My main question on this is...as long as I don't exceed my transformers 80% capacity can I run that many lights off 1 transformer?

#2-Could you tell me or point me to a tutorial on how to know how many lights I can put on a run of wire and what size wire I need?

Meaning, my goal is to use 1 transformer (if possible) to power all 24 lights in both my front and back yard.

If I mount the transformer in my backyard, can I run the wire from the transformer under my house for 50' before I splice in the 1st light?

To be clear...I am asking if my front yard string of lights could support 10 lights, 40 watts and a total wire run of 150'?

I'm assuming I can, but you tell me please?

What gauge wire would be best?

Sorry for the rambling question ;)) I appreciate any guidance you can give me!

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Kurt,

I'd be happy to help:

#1 - You are within the recommended 80% usage of the 150W, so no issue there load wise. As far as individual wire runs, we typically recommended no more than about 10 LED fixtures or 80W per a single run from the transformer. LED is quite flexible given the low wattages and wide input voltage ranges, so there is some slight wiggle room to the guidelines; a volt meter is always handy for determining all of your runs are receiving proper voltages. Essentially, as long as those 24 fixtures aren't all on a single run, you should not experience any voltage issues.

#2 - About 10 fixtures or 80W is recommended per run (whichever threshold you reach first essentially). For reference, 12-gauge is the most commonly used cable for residential projects and is rated for uses up to about 150ft. 10-gauge would be ideal for uses up to about 250ft, and for smaller runs (about 75ft) 14-gauge could be used.