LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Why do my lights keep shutting off?

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Mary Jones, Jun 22, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Mary Jones

Mary Jones New Member

Lights weren't working tonight. I toggle the switch to on and it doesn't stay up. I turn the dial to off for about 20 seconds, then turn it to the on position and then toggle the switch to on and it comes on for a second and then tripps off again. I have unplugged it and tried again and it keeps doing the same thing.

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Hi, Mary. Can you think of anything that occurred recently that might be causing this? I’m wondering if it could be a load or a wire connection issue at either a fixture or the transformer taps. The more info you can provide, the better. Thanks!

3. Mary Jones

Mary Jones New Member

No, this happened in my back yard before. I had to turn the unit off for a while then when I turned it back on it worked. I've tried that with the front yard and the toggle switch won't stay in the on position no matter where I have the setting.

4. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Ok. Unfortunately without more info, I can only recommend that you contact customer service.

5. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

What transformer might you be using?

Whether it be a slimline or one of the classic models, when setting the master switch or timer combination to 'ON' the system should stay on unless there is a short in the wiring or a fixture. From what you have described with the system 'tripping' and shutting off, it sounds like this might be the case.

Have you by chance double checked all of our main points of wire connections such as a hub? If all of your connections look good and there is no noticeable damage to any wiring or fixtures, the next step would be a process of elimination to determine which run or zone the issue is stemming from. You could do this by simply removing one run from the transformer, then turning the unit on - if it trips again, you know the source is not on the run or zone you removed. Doing this should only take a few minutes at the transformer and would help you pinpoint where exactly to troubleshoot further.

Mesodude2 likes this.
  6. C savino

C savino New Member

I had my lights shutting off and the toggle switch tripping. I started checking the bulbs and found 6 of 8 not working and most of them showing a short that trips the transformer. I pulled all the bad bulbs and the other lights came on. Last night one of the spot lights was not working, the fixture itself was very hot to the touch. Took off the cover from the fixture to access the bulb and it smelled like burnt electrical. Bottom of the bulb even look a little melted, see below.

Sending the bulbs back to volt for replacement

Attached Files:

7. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

It appears that is electrical grease from the socket of the fixture. The only way this would expand and cause a mess like this is likely due to the fixture overheating - we'd be happy to inspect any of the fixtures or bulbs inhouse as needed.

I verified with customer support that we are processing your request!