LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Which LED Lights

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Jennifer R, Jan 18, 2022.

Share This Page

1. Jennifer R

Jennifer R New Member

We've just installed a 3'H x 8'W (with 2' x 2' pillars at each end) limestone waterfall at the edge of our pool. It has 2 evenly spaced 36" copper scuppers just under the top of the structure. We'd like to add low-voltage LED lighting. We initially planned to add 2 LED strip lights (1 above each scupper) but the lips of the scuppers stick out a couple of inches. A test revealed that the light only illuminated the scuppers but not the falling water or the structure.

Our new plan is to up light from the bottom of the structure. I'd like to install 2 12V LED lights not to exceed 30 watts total (they will be powered by solar and lithium battery). I'd like the lights to be visually appealing during the day/water is off (brass or copper) and wash both the structure and falling water. Also, I need a light that is waterproof but doesn't have to be always submerged under water. (The light will be just above the water line but will get soaked.) Should I use a 38 degree, 60 degree, etc bulb? I'm not worried about glare as it will reside behind the falling water and I want it to both wash the wall and illuminate the water. At the base, the gap from the wall to the falling water is 3". Which light fixtures would you recommend?
    20220117_172919.jpg 20220117_171503.jpg
    Thanks so much for any advice or help!

2. Jennifer R

Jennifer R New Member

Or should I install a
    Brass Rotatable/Pivoting LED Hardscape Light under each scupper? If so, which length?

3. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Jennifer,

Our 3" or 6" rotatable hardscape lights could indeed work, but our fixtures are not rated for waters where swimming or wading occurs.

Per NEC guidelines, luminaires should be installed 10 feet (3.05M) or more from pool, spa or fountain.

If opting for our low-voltage fixtures, you'd have to continue this route at your own discretion unfortunately.

We'd likely recommend considering pool approved waterfall lights.