LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Voltage Drop Calculation

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by dw886, Sep 18, 2017.

Share This Page

1. dw886

dw886 New Member

So I know the formula for voltage drop [(Cable Length X Total Fixture Wattage X 2) / Cable Constant], however I have a question on the Cable Length portion.

Let's say that I have a cable run that's 180' long. 100' into the main line run, I tee off 20' to one side to add 2 lights. 120' into the main line run, I tee off another 20' to one side adding a single light. What's my Cable Length? Is it 180' (the longest run), or is it 220' (the longest run plus the two 20' off-shoots from the main line)?

2. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

Best to add all wire lengths - including branches.

3. dw886

dw886 New Member

Thanks Steve, that's what I was thinking. Of course, I could always just run the run, and then use my DMM to check voltage at the end, but I come across this question mostly when sizing the wire. At the end of the day, it seems like it's always best to error on the side of caution in case the customer wants to expand some day anyway, meaning oversize the wire, and plan for the largest length. That way you have options down the road if they change their minds. :)