LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Uplighting vs downlighting

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Beantown BNT, Jan 24, 2021.

Share This Page

1. Beantown BNT

Beantown BNT New Member

Regarding illuminating gables of a home. Are up lights or down lights recommended? Volt sells both.

For instance: I have 3 roof gables that would need illuminating. I attached a picture and numbered my gables 1-3 from left to right.

Pros of down lights:

--seem to hide better than uplights (spot lights). Volt puck lights for example seem to hide well.

--some down light options appear to be less cost than uplights like spotlights (puck lights vs spot lights for example).

Cons of down lights:

--gables number 2 and 3 I'd have a though time with those heights as this is a DIY Project. Gable 1 I'd have no problems but shouldn't I stay consistent with all gables? If I do down lights for one shouldn't I do down lights for all?

--speaking of heights, I would need to go back up there when doing maintenance to any down light I install (puck light replace or swap bulb of I opt for a spotlight down light).

--puck light fixtures need to be replaced at end of life. A spot light could just need a new bulb. No need to replace whole fixture and wire like a puck light.

Pros of uplights:

--heights are not an issue

--easier to maintenance; can buy replacement bulb or if wire issue can be fixed without worrying about heights

Cons of uplights:

--fixture (spot light or flood light) more noticeable than some uplights

--usually more expensive than some Volt down light options

Well that's my line of reasoning when I decide up vs down. Seems like up lights win even though I do like the sleekness of volts down light options

For gable number 2: wouldn't I need a flood light? I'm thinking high wattage so the light reaches from the gutter where it's mounted to the gable. High beam angle: 60° or 110°?

Thanks as always for the help! Screenshot_20210124-120444_Redfin.jpg

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Hi, Beantown. First, I'm not terribly excited about the idea of someone who's trying this for the first time trying to tackle soffit lights. If you do go that route, I highly recommend you consult with your roofer or have them do it. Even if you do the gutter lights yourself, I hope you have someone there to spot you just in case you find yourself needing an extra pair of hands. Safety lecture over.

If you had a more modestly sized house, I might be more concerned about light fixtures being too visible but your house is fairly large (from what I can see) and so I am not convinced that the fixtures will be an eyesore or even particularly noticeable from the ground. All of the preceding feedback is just my opinion, of course.

3. Beantown BNT

Beantown BNT New Member

Thanks very much. I'll go with up lights to light the gables. On gable #2, what beam angle and wattage would you go with if you were illuminating that gable in the center of the house?

4. Mesodude2

I’d go with a 60 degree, as I think anything higher will likely project outside of the facade of your house.

5. Beantown BNT

Beantown BNT New Member

Thank you!!! Any idea on wattage of bulb?

6. Mesodude2

I would go with whatever you're using for the columns and the rest of the house walls. If you find that's not enough light you can always increase your wattage. It's really hard to predict with accuracy. You'll engage in a fair amount of trial and error as you create and implement your lighting plan.