LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Troubleshooting Volt 600W Transformer

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Jeff Loughridge, Oct 21, 2021.

Share This Page

1. Jeff Loughridge

Jeff Loughridge New Member

One of the circuits tied to my Volt transformer stopped lighting the bulbs. I measured the voltage at the last light in the circuit at 12V. I am not sure what I should expect to see when measuring current. My analog multimeter cannot measure AC current. I am not sure if my digital multimeter can produce an accurate reading. Also, the COM #1 port looks burned.

What is the procedure to troubleshoot this problem?

Attached Files:

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Your transformer isn't wired properly. One wire from each split cable should go into one of the two COM taps and the other wire should go into one of the taps labeled 1 through 4. The problem is that you have both strands of each cable inserted into a single tap. You may want to reach out to customer support directly for further guidance but I would remove all the wires and unplug the transformer in the meantime.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  3. Jeff Loughridge

Jeff Loughridge New Member

Mesodude2,

I will rewire it. Thank you for pointing out my error. I'm surprised that it worked in this configuration for 4+ years and didn't burn my house down.

4. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Just to be on the safe side, I strongly recommend you contact VOLT for additional guidance on re-wiring the transformer. I probably wouldn't use the same cables but CS might tell you something different. Good luck.