LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Troubleshooting - power but no light

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Mike E., Nov 27, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Mike E.

Mike E. New Member

Hello

I inherited the low voltage landscape wiring layout of the home I recently bought. Since then, I have upgraded some things, including easily accessible portions of the wiring on certain runs, all new Volt fixtures (duh), high end transformers, legit connectors, etc. In doing so, however, I impatiently cut some underground wiring at T-junctions without really taking the time to understand which wires run where (underground that is) in my rather large yard. Long story short, I do not have a complete picture of the web of landscape wiring that sits beneath my property's surface. Despite this, however, I have what I consider a pretty nice lighting setup, thanks in large part to the many fixtures I've bought from Volt (I should buy stock in this company, seriously!) and their wonderful customer service.

I would like to add some lights to a planter that is fully encircled by my pool deck (i.e. it will be a real son of a gun to even think about trenching/getting new wiring to this location/etc.). There are, however, some old, existing wires still in this area that I'm hoping to utilize to save a ton of time and money. Using my multimeter (and with the transformer turned on) I read about 11.5 volts at these lines. There is also another nearby set of wires (old ones as well) that also read about 10-11 volts. Despite these readings, however, I cannot get any of my Volt fixtures to light up when I connect them to these leads. Nada, zip. I have tested these particular fixtures and they 100% work, so it's not the bulb. I've also carefully re-stripped the leads to ensure as good of a connection as possible. I've tried using my Wire Tracer but with very limited success, it just doesn't get very good readings with such old wires buried fairly deep.

My question is, how is it that I have enough voltage (i.e. anywhere between 11 and 12 volts) at these leads but cannot get the lights to come on at all? I'd greatly appreciate any advice and suggestions on how to go about troubleshooting this further. Thanks!

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the kind words, we certainly appreciate it!

From what you have described, it does sound as though the distribution of power in the system may be causing your troubles. As this was a pre-existing system and some previous lines have been cut/modified, the issue may very well lie underground.

If your transformer is functioning properly and the fixtures in question work when powered directly at the transformer as you stated, this leads us to believe that the flow of electricity has or is being affected. I would first recommend cross comparing the specs of any existing lights with the new transformer you installed to verify that they are compatible. If all of your fixtures are indeed compatible and you are within the proper operating range of the working transformer load wise, this hints towards the cable or connection points as the source. Although you are currently receiving readings of a proper voltage range in this area, the amperage may not be sufficient for the load when multiple lights are added. If this troubleshooting ultimately leads you to believe that the point of concern is indeed the older wire and connections underground, rewiring this area of your layout may prove to be the most beneficial for the performance and longevity of your system.

3. Mike E.

Mike E. New Member

Thanks for the response Evan. Let's assume it is a problem with insufficient amperage at the light(s) in question. What would cause this exactly? I assume I can use my multimeter to test the amperage at these wires, but what would a "sufficient" reading be as far as amps are concerned? (Sorry, I'm not smart when it comes to electricity.) I know that it has to do with resistance, but that's about where my understanding of the following formula ends:

I (current) = V (voltage) / R (resistance)

4. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Given the mystery of what lies beneath your pool deck, it is difficult to say what exactly is the source. The wires and connections below may be damaged or the cable may not be the correct kind of gauge for the new length of the run. The amperage of an individual run will vary based on the total wattage of the load and the voltage being applied. Given the scenario, although rewiring may not sound like the most attractive option, it may prove to be the least stressful and most definite fix.

I am always happy to help Mike!