LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

troubleshooting landscape lighting wiring

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by stromley, Nov 12, 2019.

Share This Page

1. stromley

stromley New Member

How do I figure out where wiring has failed? I have five zones, and two whole zones are dark. Swapped working lights to verify, problem still exists. I did not install the lighting. It's been working fine for about four years.

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Hi, the more information you can provide about your system and the setup you have, the more meaningful feedback users will be able to provide. It sounds like you have a fair number of fixtures connected. What wattage is your transformer? Are these bulbs LEDs or halogens? Have you checked to see if a circuit inside the transformer has been tripped? With some lights working and others not, it should be fairly easy to diagnose the problem if there's a connection issue at the transformer. If fixtures are connected to above ground hubs, I would examine those connections at the hubs to make sure they're still solid. Has anyone done any digging in the yard that might have severed any buried cables? Ultimately you might have to use an multimeter to verify power is getting to the fixtures and or find out if a faulty buried connection is the root of the problem. Please write back with more information (including what you've already tried). Thanks.

3. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Agree with @Mesodude2! If the system has been working for years and now you have an issue with just (2) individual runs, the issue is either with the wire connection point (hub or connectors) or like Meso mentioned, possibly damage occurred to the cable leading to these two runs. I would start by checking the connections; if it comes down to you believing it is the cable it is typically easier to just run a new line and test to verify before burying the new run.

Mesodude2 likes this.