LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Transformer Location Options

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Robert1221, Apr 19, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Robert1221

Robert1221 New Member

Working on installation of up-lights and path lights kit for front of house.

I would like to run all wire through brick wall into interior of garage and install transformer there. Is that possible? And if so, are there any special considerations that I should keep in mind when installing the transformer on interior garage wall?

Thank you!

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Robert,

You can certainly mount the transformer inside of your garage. Just be sure to mount to a solid, flat surface and make sure that the unit has at least a foot of clearance in all directions.

3. Robert1221

Robert1221 New Member

Do I need to use a special conduit when traversing brick exterior? Thanks for quick response.

4. Evan K

I would recommend always using conduit when it comes to an exposed wire up against a wall. Conduit is typically inexpensive and it adds a great layer of protection to prevent any damage during yard work. No special conduit is needed though, just standard PVC conduit.

5. Brett

Brett New Member

Can one pass the direct burial wire through the garage wall to the outside in a typical stick built (non brick) home without issues?

6. Evan K

Running the low-voltage cable in that manner wouldn't cause any issues with the system or the wire itself. The main concern would be damage to the wire if left exposed; I would recommend using conduit to prevent the wire from getting damaged or severed.