LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Transformer Info

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by snazmo, May 6, 2020.

Share This Page

1. snazmo

snazmo New Member

I searched the forum and couldn't find the answer to my question. I contacted customer support and their answer contradicts the info and pictures on their webpage.

The 300-Watt Slim Line LED Transformer, VTR-300SL-SS-R1, and the Clamp-Connect 300 Watt Multi-Tap Transformer, VTR-300-NG-SS, appear to have the same specifications, but there is a $50 difference in price. Other than the fact that the VTR-300-NG-SS can use a digital timer and the obvious size differences and number of knockouts, what is the difference between the two models that accounts for the $50 cost delta?

If you make something smaller and keep the same performance, the cost goes up not down. What am I giving up in performance if I purchase the Slim Line?

Thanks

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Hi, snazmo. Did you compare the PDF spec sheets for the different models? The VTR-300-NG-SS has “extra-large 12V and 15V taps”. If I’m reading correctly, it has a more robust toroidal core (meaning it should run cooler and quieter and manage voltage loss better) than the Slimline does. If my lighting plan involved numerous long runs requiring the use of heavier gauge wire, I might choose that model over the Slimline. I’m a novice so a VOLT rep would be more qualified to confirm the accuracy of my explanation.

3. snazmo

snazmo New Member

Meso,
    Thanks for the response. The VTR-300SL-SS-R1 has "large" vs the VTR-300-NG-SS having "extra-large" taps. I did miss that point when I reviewed the specs. That's not exactly a spec., but there is some unquantified difference in the taps. How does it affect performance? It says that both models accepts up to 10 ga. wire. Maybe I missed it but the only thing I see in the spec sheet about the toroidal core is the same for both of them "Highly efficient toroidal core* - runs cooler, generates less noise, with less voltage loss under load."
    Thanks

Mesodude2 likes this.
  4. snazmo

snazmo New Member

Received an updated answer from customer service. I will post the answer here in case anyone else is searching for an answer to the same question.

"The only difference is that the Slim Line transformers take specific Slim Line timers (either mechanical or photocell and timer combination) and do not have the ability to take extendable photocells, as there is no side knockout on these units like on our other transformers.

Otherwise, they function the same way as our clamp-connect units."

5. Mesodude2

I thought the question you asked was about the price difference. Anyway, the “Spec Sheet” pdf suggests that the taps on the pricier model will accommodate more wire runs. Like I said, if I wanted to maximize my ability to add longer runs, I’d definitely go with the VTR-300SL-SS-R1. The description for that model refers to a certain quality of stainless steel. A higher grade of steel, roomier taps, and more powerful timer/photocell options might account for the difference in price. For my own edification, I may give CS a call.

6. snazmo

snazmo New Member

Both models are made from 304 stainless

7. Mesodude2

I give up. You win. I have no idea. :cool: I just spoke with them and they confirmed everything you stated.. Weird that the price on the slimline jumped up today, huh?

8. snazmo

snazmo New Member