LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Transformer appears off

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Jrinkes89, Aug 23, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Jrinkes89

Jrinkes89 New Member

Hello

I have the Costco volt landscaping 6 spot light starter kit. Everything looks great I’m having just one issue.

I set the transformer to “auto”. It works great. Comes on when dark and turns off automatically like it was supposed to.

twice now I have found at dusk the lights did not come on. When I walked out to check it appears the transformer was off. No LED light on at all on the front. So I hit the button and instantly they turn on Because the first position is “on”. Followed by auto.. then hrs etc.

I select auto. They go out.. after a few seconds they turn on as designed. I just can’t figure out why this is occurring? No one else is touching the transformer

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Issues with the timing like this are typically either related to ambient light or a faulty sensor - in your case it sounds like it may be related to the sensor.

If you wanted to test the Photocell device yourself, here are the simple steps:

(In daylight)
    1. Test in the ON position first.

2. If the timer works in this setting then, set it to dusk to dawn setting; it should turn off after doing this.

3. You should then cover the photocell in complete darkness for anywhere from 5-6 minutes (using a towel or something that encompasses the entire device is recommended.) After this time, it should power on.

(With the CostCo transformer which has the timer/photocell device built it, you would need to cover the entire face of the unit to properly test the cycling functionality.)

If the sensor is ultimately the issue, we will be happy to help get the unit replaced for you - just give us a call at 813-978-3700!

We can also troubleshoot directly over the phone with you if you prefer that as well.