LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Thoughts on beam angle and wattage for front of house.

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by MarkRobz, Apr 25, 2022.

Share This Page

1. MarkRobz

MarkRobz New Member

Hello,

A bit unsure on what wattage, beam and angle to use on front of house. Its a pretty simple design, but would really appreciate some advice from people more familiar with outdoor lighting.

Was thinking 4 lights total?

1 light on each wing to illuminate between windows and 1 light on each side of front porch.

Should the angle or wattage be different considering 2 lights will be needed to Illuminate 1 floor on the wings vs 2 stories next to the porch.

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Mark,

Beautiful home! I think you're on the right track plan wise - an ideal approach for subtle, accent lighting.

For the lights on either side of the porch/front door, I'd likely use MR16 spotlights for the adjustability and diverse bulb options. For the bulbs, I'd likely recommend 5W or 7W with wide beam spreads (110-degree ideally), and 2700K color temp (warm white; most common). The ideal wattage would depend on the level of illumination you desire. You could place these spotlights on extension risers if needed as well to help elevate the light sources above those plants/shrubs.

For the wings, 3W or 5W likely more ideal for the wattage. Wide beam spread (110°) and same color temp (2700K). You could consider using 2 lights in each of the wings as well - in this case 3Ws likely more ideal, with 60 degree spreads.

Some additional suggestions to consider -

The tree off to the left of the house could also look beautiful at night if illuminated with 2 uplights.

Some path lights could look beautiful along the front pathway & garden beds as well.