LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Servicing a Fat Boy

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Greg, Jun 12, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Greg

Greg New Member

I have a Fat Boy kit installed less than 9 mo. I need to replace an LED bulb but the housing is impossible to open. I can get the face of the housing to rotate, but it won't slide off. I suspect by the time I get it off the rubber gasket can be used a a headband. This shouldn't be this difficult to replace a bulb, beyond frustrating. What an I missing?
    I suspect there is a problem in the gasket design tolerances.
    Thanks

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I would check with Volt customer service to confirm it is safe to squirt some kind of lubricant to get the cap off. Also have you tried wearing a pair of rubber gloves while you wiggle the pieces apart? Just thinking that would give you a good grip.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  3. Greg

Greg New Member

I've been trying something similar with work gloves. It slowly turns with allot of effort, but no luck in

4. Greg

Greg New Member

After 20 min of twisting the housing and bezel I was finally able to access the bulb. I used 2 screw drivers to ultimately pry off the bezel. Not looking forward to having to change bulbs on the other 5 fixtures.
    Thanks

5. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

There is a silicone grease that comes with some products. It’s supposed to prevent this sticking. Again, I’d call customer service to see what they recommend that won’t void your warranty. Good luck.