LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Seating Wall Column Lights

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by dustinku, Jul 6, 2017.

Share This Page

1. dustinku

dustinku New Member

I'm looking to install hardscape lights on a newly created seating wall with column on each end. Wall is slightly curved and 15' in length. The two columns will be 20"x20" square with capstones. How many lights should be placed under the capstone on each column? I was initially thinking two sides vs. all four? If only two sides, would you light the outside and inside(light over the seating wall portion) or the front and back? I also planned on putting one hardscape light under the cap in the center of the curved seating wall.

Lastly, what length of hardscape light should be used with a 20"x20" column?

Thank you,

2. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

Thanks for your question. I'm thinking you would want to illuminate all four sides of the column, but if you're only doing two sides, I don't know which two sides would be best. I think I would need to see a photo of the surroundings.

Regarding the size of the hardscape light, the 18" length will do the best job of providing even coverage across the face of the columns.

The 12" length would leave some dark regions toward the top sides - not a bad look. In fact, some may prefer it, since it adds a little subtle drama and mystery to the scene. (See photo below)

[​IMG]

Let us know what you decide.

Thanks again,

Steve Parrott