LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

On / off switch

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Bill Kirkman, Apr 5, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Bill Kirkman

Bill Kirkman New Member

I want to add a low voltage light to my grill roof but only want to turn it on when I am grilling. Can I add an on/off switch to a low voltage light that is on a run with other lights that I want to stay lit?

2. Eric

Eric New Member

I'm also interested but I would like to turn off lights lighting some shrubs that do not look attractive in winter.

3. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Bill & Eric,

For this type of application, if the light did not offer any remote control features, the most feasible option (aside from controlling a single light with a single transformer) would be to add a relay to a power cable running solely from the transformer to the light. This would basically create a secondary zone control feature on your transformer with you being able to control only the fixture at the relay point. While in theory this can work it is important to note that, with LED technologies, even the slightest residual flow of electricity can cause the bulbs to receive power. The low and inconsistent levels of power could potentially damage the life expectancies of the light bulbs over time and cause unpredictable results.

Bill Kirkman likes this.
  4. georgetv

georgetv New Member

I want same thing. Isolate one light on a run to turn on off seasonally or when I use the area there. What did you guys end up doing?