LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

On / Off Cycle

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Race, Jul 20, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Race

Race New Member

Requesting some possible remedies or suggestions on why my VOLT landscape lighting in the front of our house continues to go through on and off cycles.

Here's the problem: System will turn on around sunset and will stay on for 3-4 minutes and then turn off. The lights will turn on again in a couple of minutes and will continue to go through the cycle over and over. At first, I thought it may be due to the photocell getting confused at sunset but I noticed that it will also cycle like this at 11 pm.

This is a new setup for my recent purchase of the VOLT Landscape Lighting 6-spotlight Brass LED Starter Kit.

This includes:
    - 1 x VOLT 100-Watt Easy Mount Transformer
    - 6 x VOLT Premium Brass Spotlights with MR-16 Bulbs - each rated at 3 watts
    - 2 x Volt Low-Voltage Hubs

I have not yet trimmed the wires coming from each light to the hubs but I don't believe that should be the issue. I also have the VOLT 150-watt transformer LED Starter Kit with 15 lights in the backyard and do not have this problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

If you set the transformer to 'ON' from the digital button, and the transformer stays on, this would indicate that the issue is likely not a wire connection or short in a fixture.

It sounds like light interference may be an issue causing the light-sensing photocell to act up - what with how the system stays ON for a few minutes before shutting off (the typical time frame for a photocell's responsiveness).

Do you by chance have any spotlight fixtures pointed directly at the transformer, path lights directly in the vicinity or perhaps an outdoor flood/security light near the transformer?

If you wanted to call our customer support, we can troubleshoot with you quickly and easily over the phone as well: (813) 978-3700

3. Brian Wynn

Brian Wynn New Member

I purchased the same set and having the exact same problem. Is there a resolution to this problem?

I set the transformer to ON and the transformer stays on. I have moved the transformer several times to rule out any light interference. I don't have any lights pointed at the transformer or other landscape / outdoor lighting.

Is there a problem with this set?

4. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I think the solution was to contact tech support and have them walk you through some troubleshooting steps. Without knowing what steps you’ve already taken, it’s hard to know where to begin. One way I might confirm whether the issue is the photocell or the timer or something else would be to cover the photocell with black tape at nightfall to see if the cycling on and off stops.

Evan K likes this.
  5. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

No problems with the kit - issues with the timing like this are typically either related to ambient light or a faulty sensor.

To test the Photocell device:

(In daylight)
    1. Test in the ON position first.

2. If the timer works in this setting then, set it to dusk to dawn setting; it should turn off after doing this.

3. You should then cover the photocell in complete darkness for anywhere from 5-6 minutes (using a towel or something that encompasses the entire device is recommended.) After this time, it should power on.

(With the CostCo transformer which has the timer device built it, you would need to cover the entire face of the unit to properly test the cycling functionality.)

If the sensor is ultimately the issue, we will be happy to help get it replaced for you - just give us a call at 813-978-3700!