LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

On / Off Cycle

Discussion in 'Ask' started by Race, Jul 20, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Race

Race New Member

Requesting some possible remedies or suggestions on why my VOLT landscape lighting in the front of our house continues to go through on and off cycles.

Here's the problem: System will turn on around sunset and will stay on for 3-4 minutes and then turn off. The lights will turn on again in a couple of minutes and will continue to go through the cycle over and over. At first, I thought it may be due to the photocell getting confused at sunset but I noticed that it will also cycle like this at 11 pm.

This is a new setup for my recent purchase of the VOLT Landscape Lighting 6-spotlight Brass LED Starter Kit.

This includes:
    - 1 x VOLT 100-Watt Easy Mount Transformer
    - 6 x VOLT Premium Brass Spotlights with MR-16 Bulbs - each rated at 3 watts
    - 2 x Volt Low-Voltage Hubs

I have not yet trimmed the wires coming from each light to the hubs but I don't believe that should be the issue. I also have the VOLT 150-watt transformer LED Starter Kit with 15 lights in the backyard and do not have this problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Evan K

Evan K Online Liaison Staff Member

If you set the transformer to 'ON' from the digital button, and the transformer stays on, this would indicate that the issue is likely not a wire connection or short in a fixture.

It sounds like light interference may be an issue causing the light-sensing photocell to act up - what with how the system stays ON for a few minutes before shutting off (the typical time frame for a photocell's responsiveness).

Do you by chance have any spotlight fixtures pointed directly at the transformer, path lights directly in the vicinity or perhaps an outdoor flood/security light near the transformer?

If you wanted to call our customer support, we can troubleshoot with you quickly and easily over the phone as well: (813) 978-3700