LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

New Transformer, but no blue pilot light

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by David Wellington, Dec 1, 2018.

Share This Page

1. David Wellington

David Wellington New Member

Just ordered new the new 100-watt slim line LED transformer with timer and photocell in response to Black Friday pricing (great deal by the way). Using similar unit in backyard. Replaced an old timer with the new one today. Really just swapped the wires from old to new. Went to turn on red switch, but blue pilot lit not working. Green light stays on. When I turn timer to on/off. All the lights come on. But all other timer settings fail and the blue light never goes on. I'm guessing there is an issue with the new unit, but not certain. Any advice? Thanks.

Attached Files:

• VOLT.jpg
      VOLT.jpg
      File size:
      39.5 KB
      Views:
  2. David Wellington

David Wellington New Member

Sean from Volt just responded to my email from last night. On a Sunday, no less. I really appreciated the quick response. Here's basically what he told me and once I followed his advice, I'm back up and running. If you are on the fence about ordering the slim line transformer, my thinking is it works great. I replaced the older transformer that had the old style "Christmas" light timer. I have the slim line unit in the back yard around the pole and find it's really easy to turn on and off the unit by just opening the door. We lose commercial power frequently, so I would have to get a screw driver and take the cover off the old unit and then resent the timer manually to the correct time. The new slim line timer avoids having to do any of these additional steps. Sean, thanks again for helping this novice out. Have a great holiday.

The blue pilot light on that photocell and timer combo will only come on when the photocell or timer is actively turning your system on.
    For the hour settings, your system will turn on once the photocell sense that it is dusk and then run for however many hours you have specified.
    Make sure that you manually cycle the photocell before using a photocell setting.
    You can do this by setting it to the DUSK/DAWN position, covering the photocell with a dark cloth, and then waiting 5-6 minutes for your lights to come on.
    Then remove the cloth, allow the photocell to gather light, and then your lights will turn back off.
    After cycling your unit, it will be ready to go.
    If you have any other questions, feel free to give us a call.

Sincerely,

Sean Hileman
    Customer Support

Evan K likes this.