LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Need landscape lighting location recommendations

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by PKing, Oct 22, 2019.

Share This Page

1. PKing

PKing New Member

Just painted, new shutters, flag pole and stained wood columns. Now its time to light the house up. Need some recs for lighting locations. Optimized-20190915_104743.jpg Optimized-resized.jpg Optimized-20191020_171646.jpg

Evan K and Mesodude2 like this.
  2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Nice house! I attached a photo with some general recommendations as far as where to put lights. I'll include some links below as well.

Path lights along the front walk would look great and provide some added security/safety; any of the decorative lights would complement your house really well.

For the columns, you could use compact spotlights on surface mounts and mount them on the brick circling the columns. An MR11 spotlight like the All-Star mini would be discreet and still offer beautiful illumination on the columns with variable outputs and adjustable beam spreads. I refrained from marking 2 of the columns in my photo because of the downspouts from the gutters (they would likely block light and create unwanted shadows if uplighting). Another lighting option for the columns would be to use puck lights for downlighting by mounting them in the eaves and hiding the wire in the gutter system (these pucks have pre-drilled screw holes for easy mounting).

For the second story, to highlight the dormers, you could use compact MR11 spotlights again and use them with gutter mounts.

Attached Files:

Mesodude2 likes this.
  3. PKing

PKing New Member

I was thinking about putting some down lighting above those 4 columns. Also thinking about puck lights above garage doors.

Evan K and Mesodude2 like this.
  4. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Your garage doorframe is fairly deep so lights should work well there. As for the front columns, I think either way will look great. Uplights will better define the edge of the roof and downlights will highlight the border garden.

Evan K likes this.