LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Need help for front elevation...

Discussion in 'Ask' started by dslab, Jun 8, 2019.

Share This Page

1. dslab

dslab New Member

Hello! I need your insight on light placement, which lights, and beam angle/width! I'm looking to light up the front of our home (front now and later on will do back) and also the three trees in lawn/landscape as well. I'm especially wondering about the placement of the uplights in front of the porch. Normally I would want to light up the porch columns with a narrow beam, but since the two columns have the step railing tied to it I'm not sure how to light up that area!

I provided two different pictures, each from a slightly different angle as it's a little tricky to see it all.

Attached Files:

2. Evan Kruk

Evan Kruk Online Liaison Staff Member

Hey there,

I'd be happy to provide some insight! I attached an image to illustrate some suggestions. To uplight the majority of the front, I would recommend using spotlights. For the light, I would recommend an All-Star™ or a budget-friendly option would be the Fat Boy. We also currently have a Father's Day Sale active for the Lusitano. These lights are all solid brass with lifetime warranties and are lamp-ready (use retrofitted light bulbs).

For the beam spreads, I would recommend 15-degrees (the narrowest) on the columns, 38-degrees on the stone wall and 2nd story lights, and either 38-degrees or 60-degree for the fixtures near the window. Possibly even a 60-degree for the middle one, and 38-degrees in the (2) on the slimmer corners of the wall.

To mount that light on the second story, you could use a gutter mount. It is a tad difficult to verify from your picture but, to illuminate that large peak, you could either surface mount or gutter mount (2) spotlights and then angle them so that light is directed towards the peak (I attached a picture to illustrate what this looks like).

Although, I don't have a complete image of your property, I think you may also benefit from some path & area lights along that walkway up to the front or, possibly out by your mailbox. The Max Spread is our most popular style and we also have many decorative styles if desired.

Attached Files:

3. dslab

dslab New Member

Evan, sorry for my long delay in response! Thank you so much for your ideas and input! The beam spreads you recommend make sense and help me out a lot! One follow up question regarding the columns. Do you think it would a little not having the other two columns lit up, but even if I did try to light them up - I'm not sure there is a good way to do it as the railings of the steps cover most of the column? So I'm guessing your recommendation of leaving them along is the best.

What light would you recommend for lighting up the tree (red - bloodgood japanese maple) in the front lawn?

4. Evan Kruk

Not a problem, glad to be of help! Originally when looking at the photo you posted, all of the columns were an obvious choice for illumination but I did notice the extra work those (2) columns would take and essentially just sought to balance the design altogether. You could very well light these (2) columns but given the rails, the effects would more than likely look noticeably different than the lighting effects on the other columns. Unless, you were to employ the same lighting method for all of the columns, adapted from the 2 with rails (an example as in if you decided to use puck lights to illuminate those 2 and applied it to the other 3)

For those 2 columns, some options to consider would be:
    1. Downlighting (either puck lights or downlights from the gutter system above).
    2. Uplighting with some low-profile MR11 fixtures mounted on the stone ledge directly below the columns.
    3. Placing a spotlight on either side of the staircase, back towards the columns to illuminate.

For that small tree, I would recommend a lamp-ready spotlight such as the All-Star™ (a budget-friendly alternative would be a Fat Boy). Given the small size, I would consider starting with 2W LED MR16 and increase the wattage overtime as the tree grows (possibly expanding the beam spread as well for the growing canopy).

5. dslab

dslab New Member

Thank you sir!! Appreciate your helpful insight and options to consider! Thanks.

Evan Kruk likes this.
  6. Evan Kruk

Glad to be of help! Be sure to share your complete project with us in our online gallery!