LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Need help for 4000 SQFT courtyard

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by E G, Apr 13, 2022.

Share This Page

1. E G

E G New Member

Hello,

I am an interior designer currently designing a courtyard for my house and I am struggling with the lighting in this project. The area is much bigger than what I usually work with ! The courtyard is 4000 SQFT and I don't know how many or what kind of lighting I should use. If I don't want the center of the courtyard to be too dark, should I go with in ground lighting or mount fixtures to the raised flowerbeds ? I attached the drawing and am available to speak on the phone if needed.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Dirk Yamamoto

Dirk Yamamoto New Member

As no one has offered an opinion, I'll provide some ideas... I don't have a great solution to cast light all the way into the middle of the ~55'-wide courtyard, but perhaps you can use path lights around the perimeter of the raised flowerbeds. The Max Spread path lights might help to cast light further into the courtyard, especially with the flowerbeds being raised. It looks like a beautiful design you've created and some other ideas would be to put in step lights for the two sets of steps, hardscape or deck lights on the two columns where the cars enter, and then some spotlights to illuminate the two trees shown. The videos and photos under the "Learn" menu of the main webpage can help with decisions on spacing and bulb wattage. Good luck!

3. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

In-ground lighting would be ideal for illuminating architectural or landscape features with a low-profile uplight approach. Uplighting such as this or path and area lights could be placed in garden beds as well.

Dirk gave some great suggestions - if you attached a photo or two of the courtyard you could likely receive some more precise recommendations.