LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Need an inexpensive strip light for slide-out keyboard

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by GaryW, Mar 8, 2019.

Share This Page

1. GaryW

GaryW New Member

I'm interested in the "By the Foot" strip lights and am wondering if I can use a store-bought power supply for it rather than the keypad controller. My father has a slide-out computer keyboard and I plan to surface-mount the light in the narrow space above it with double stick tape, with nothing more elaborate than an "On/Off" switch (or plug-in/unplug option). I only need white light - it's not going to be changing colors and the length is only as wide (long) as a standard computer keyboard, so no more than about 18".
    I want to keep it as simple as possible, so he can operate it (he's almost 93 and the advertised keypad would only confuse him). Thanks!

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Gary,

The 'by the foot' tape which we currently carry is RGB and was designed to operate specifically with our power supplies via the remotes. They do have a 'white' color setting but, I would not be able to say for certain another power supply that would work. Ultimately, I would not want to recommend using another device that may compromise the tape light or not function how you expect it to. My best recommendation would be to look for a low-profile, indoor undercabinet light style light that has a switch/button directly on it. There are ones available on the indoor lighting market that plug directly into outlets for quick, easy installs as well.

3. GaryW

GaryW New Member

Thanks, Evan - I'll look into them.

Evan K likes this.