LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

MultiZone Lighting

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Mutchinator, Jun 18, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Mutchinator

Mutchinator New Member

Hi - I think I know the answer to part of this; but wanted to run it by the forum.

I am installing new system - have purchased all lights in addition to some extensions to enable me to cast lights downward more effectively.

Key:

Green - Wide Wash RS7
    Yellow - All Star Spot Lights (38 degree)
    Red - Max Spread Area Light
    Blue - Twinnovator (60 degrees)

My thoughts were to have two "zones" - one for accent and one for function.

The Green and Yellow would be for accent - so I could turn these on even when not using pool to provide some interest to pool area perimeter.

The Blue and Red would be more for functional lighting - when people are out at pool they can see where they are going.

I am presently installing hubs - which I learned are a bit of a pain and require a ton more cabling; but also make life easier to diagnose issues, etc.

Questions
    1) What is best way to accommodate this approach? I am thinking I need two separate transformers (note I already have one 300v) - one for each zone. I could then control them from my pool controller.

2) If I use hubs - I am going to have multiple hubs in same area; one to catch function lights and one to catch accent lights. Tons of wiring.

3) I see areas where doing a daisy chain seems to make more sense; like along the upper image where I can catch the floods and spotlights. General thoughts on hubs vs daisychain?

Appreciate the feedback -

Jason Mutchler - Pool Lighting.jpg

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I don’t see another way for you to do this without a second transformer. And for anyone who wants any operation more sophisticated than dusk to dawn, I’d highly recommend the dual circuit transformer. That’s on my Xmas wishlist. With that you could control two zones independently and with your existing transformer you’d be able to control a third. I’m a bit lazy so I’m sort’ve biased in favor of the hub method. We had snow during my install this past winter and I had to troubleshoot a couple fixtures I’d wired carelessly to a hub. It was not fun and all I could think of while I was out in the cold reconnecting my lights was, thank heaven these are not buried.

3. Mutchinator

Mutchinator New Member

Yes I am on same page. I will probably order a few other hubs to cover the two zones and another small transformer. I will then use a relay off my pool control panel to control the lights - using a duplex outlet and dropping line common. Alternatively I may just put in smart plugs and control via IFFT, Alexa, etc. - but having it all on one controller is nice.

Mesodude2 likes this.