LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Multi-zone lighting question

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Bimfi, Jul 12, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Bimfi

Bimfi New Member

Good afternoon. I have a small landscape lighting system consisting of 4 LED lamps in a semi circle around my front yard flower bed. I am in the process of building a small rock bubbler fountain system in the middle of my array of landscape lights. I was asked by my spouse to make it so that the perimeter lights could shut off at a certain time, but leave the lights on that will accent the fountain. I'm not sure how to accomplish this without purchasing a separate transformer just for the fountain lights. Is there such a thing as a low cost multi-zone transformer that could accomplish this task? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

2. Joe Garrick

Joe Garrick New Member

I've seen multi-zone ones, but nothing that I'd consider low cost. You could install a manual switch pretty easily though. Or maybe someone makes a low voltage inline timer.

3. Bimfi

Bimfi New Member

Thanks. I will look into that.

4. Bimfi

Bimfi New Member

5. Joe Garrick

Joe Garrick New Member

Maybe. Not much margin on available power, though. For the same money you could have a 150 watt unit that would give you room for expansion. I've found this to be a little like an addiction. Once you get started, you'll want everything lit up.

6. Bimfi

Bimfi New Member

I understand the concerns of maxing out the available power. Right now I am using a 60 watt Portfolio for my four led lights (total wattage ~20 watts). The three new led lights are 3w (9 watts) which would give me a total of ~30 watts. I realize it is expensive compared to a single tap 200 watt transformer, but I haven't found anything comparable to what I need to set up dual zones with different timer settings that is not even more expensive. I'm still indecisive at this point, but I may just try it out to see how well it may work. I do thank you for your suggestions and wisdom.

Joe Garrick likes this.