LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Moonlighting Effect - Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by KTB, Aug 16, 2018.

Share This Page

1. KTB

KTB New Member

I am trying to get a moonlight effect down through some large spruce and can't get a result I am happy with. I am using the VOLT® Woodsman II Lamp with a 5W LED MR16 38º 3000K. The lamp is mounted about 30' up so it does shine through the boughs but it is an old tree so those branches are a bit sparse.

Overall the light is just too intense and the glare on the 1st set of branches is quite noticeable so the eye travels right to the light source..

Any recommendation on whether I should go with a lower watt bulb with a wider beam or try some diffusion filters. If filters are recommended, will they work with the Woodsman II? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tyler

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hello KTB,

Please allow me to offer some advice!

From what you have described, I would certainly recommend using a bulb with a lower wattage and possibly considering using a warmer color temperature to better compliment the natural setting. Considering that you are using a 5W-3000k bulb, I would recommend testing a 3W-bulb (the color temperature would ultimately be your preference). Another option could be to install a frosted lens as well as this will help diffuse and soften light output.