LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Looking to light up small front area. Few questions

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Alex K, Jun 9, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Alex K

Alex K New Member

Hello - I have a 10x10 belgian block enclosed area in front of my house. I'm looking to light it up a bit. Don't want to over do it.

Here is a picture of what it looks like:
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking of placing lights like this:

[​IMG]

I'm looking to use Volt Modernelle fixtures on the outside. 3 of them placed where the outside arrows are. What would be the bulb suggestion in terms of wattage and lumens? its a fairly small area and I don't want to over expose it. Another question is what fixture and bulb do you suggest for the tree light? its a fairly young lavender twist

Another question is - Its only going to be 4 lights in total, I would like the transformer to be inside of my garage and run the lights there. Can I use a portable transformer with these? Would something like this be ok to use?
    http://www.wholesalepatiostore.com/Alliance-Outdoor-Lighting/Model-TF150.html
    Thank you

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  2. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your question. I like your plan, but think the Modernelle may not give you a wide enough coverage of the garden bed. (Those fixtures are better used along pathways where narrower pools of light are desired.)

Instead, I suggest any of our classic path lights such as the Max Spread, 7" China Hat, Mushroom, Conehead, or 9" Stratum. For any of these, I suggest the 4W, 2700K lamp.

For the uplight on the tree, I suggest the All-Star MR16 Spotlight with a 3W LED MR16 60º 2700K lamp. Or, if you rather have the LED integrated into the fixture (no lamp to replace), use the Infiniti 30 G3 LED Spotlight.

Regarding the transformer, I'm not familiar with the one you suggest. The smallest VOLT unit that can be installed indoors is the Multi-tap 150W transformer.

Please send us pictures when the job is done!

Thanks again,

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2017
  3. Alex K

Alex K New Member

Thank you Steve

Reason i wanted to go with Modernelle is the design. Classic path lights are not as good looking. I'm not really looking to light up entire garden bed but more for the side walk and pavers next to the bed and next to the stairs.
    I looked at the multi-tap 150w and its an overkill for my needs :) size wise
    Another question - do you offer or recommend any color changing bulbs that i can use? I want to do the color changing one for the tree.

another question. isn't 60 degree beam too wide for this tree?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  4. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

Hi Alex,

No, sorry, we don't offer color changing bulbs and I don't have a recommendation for them.

The reason I suggested the 60w lamp is to allow for growth of the tree. Yes, as it stands now, you only need a 35º lamp, but since our LED lamps last a lifetime, I suggest selecting the beam angle to cover the tree for years from now.

I should mention, however, that if you use the Infiniti integrated LED fixture, you can buy the 35º optic (at the outset - very inexpensive), then when the tree grows, you can replace it with the 60º optic.