LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Looking for confirmation I’m choosingk the right well lights before purchasing

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Brennan K, Jul 1, 2024.

Share This Page

1. Brennan K

Brennan K New Member

IMG_4315.jpeg IMG_4323.jpeg I’m new to the whole low-voltage world and have been doing some research but want to solidify my decision before purchasing. I would like to do well lights to uplight my columns and am looking at the salty dog MR16 shielded with RGBW bulb 32 degree bulb. My inspiration was the other picture shown but I like the idea of in ground lights to be less noticeable and want the option to change colors to our favorite football teams color on game nights. Any criticism or other recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

There’s pros and cons to using either well lights or spot lights. Ultimately, you have to decide which option best suits your needs. One thing to consider is that, depending on the facade of your house, the fixture type and model you choose, and how you customize it, the shadow from the joint where the stone pillars and columns abut will be more or less pronounced. The lip at the base of the columns in the example photo you posted is fairly pronounced. It looks like there is a shallower lip where your columns and stone pillar abut, so you might not have that shadow (or as big of a shadow) when you uplight your columns.

The well light you chose should work fine there. If the MR11 had a color changing option, that could work as well. The in ground well light, while pricey, would give you the most versatility of all well light choices. The down side to ground lights is that if you have any kind of drainage issues near your foundation, it can be easy for the lens or lens cover to get soaked or caked with mud or other debris. I’m on the east coast. Sometimes it’s necessary to brush off leaves in the fall. If snow covers the fixture early in the day, it will have a harder time melting the snow than it does when the fixture is already warm. Having said all that, if you can get past the appearance of the spotlight fixtures (after several years, I barely notice mine), that is definitely an option worth considering. You will avoid some of the well light issues I mentioned and you’ll be able to aim your lights with more precision. Probably more than you wanted to know but hope it helps.