LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Lightning strike

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Brian, Jul 21, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Brian

Brian New Member

Hi Forum. Earlier this week lighting struck our property, and afterward none of my outdoor lighting would work. I immediately checked the circuit breaker, but it had not tripped, and that night I didn't have time to further investigate.
    Today (being Saturday) I've finally been able to troubleshoot. The outdoor circuit has three outlets connected to it (Front, side, back) and each is a GFCI outlet. Two of the three had tripped, and one of those was actually fried. I replaced the fried GFCI outlet and now that part of the circuit (including the low voltage lighting attached to that outlet) works fine.

The backyard GFCI outlet reset without trouble, and the VOLT transformer connected to it works without trouble. However, there are about 8 VOLT lights attached to the VOLT transformer and only 2 of them work. I had an extra G4 bulb from VOLT so I swapped it into one of the lights that was not working, and it now works. I fear the other 5 bulbs are "fried". Can someone confirm that in all likelihood those LED bulbs are fried?

As for the side yard, the VOLT transformer there is tripping. This is the VOLT® 300 Watt (12v-15v) Multi-Tap Low Voltage Transformer, and I noticed that when I reset the on/off switch some of the lights worked, but some of them didn't - and then it tripped again.
    Can someone share an opinion about what's going on here? Would replacing the 5 or 6 LED bulbs that are attached to this transformer help to resolve the tripping issue? Or is there something else I should try?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    - Brian

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hello Brian,

To determine whether you are experiencing troubles with your fixtures or the bulbs, I would recommend testing a working bulb in the fixtures that are currently unlit. This is the recommended practice for determining what exactly may need to be inspected.

In the event that an item needs to be further inspected, we are happy to do so in-house under our lifetime warranty program!