LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Lighting Recommendations

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by markbebout, Oct 18, 2021.

Share This Page

1. markbebout

markbebout New Member

Hi there!

I'm looking for lighting recommendations for my house. I've ordered some products already and tested placing them myself, but am having some difficulty with the front porch being dark, as well as the left side of the house (the blue part that steps back to the white garage). Any recommendations are appreciated!

IMG-2679-min.JPG
    IMG-2680-min.JPG
    IMG-2677-min (1).JPG

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Hey markbebout.I diagrammed a couple of your photos to show you one possible approach for lighting your home. If you uplight the posts supporting the roof over your porch in the locations I've indicated, to some extent the walls of the porch will be illuminated by the light that's bouncing off of the bright white paint on those posts. If you need more light there and you don't rely on those overhead fixtures for security, you could use low lumens light bulbs (15W incandescent equivalent LEDs would be my choice). The idea is to use lighting of a brightness and color temperature comparable to that of your landscape lighting fixtures. On the left side of the house, you could either uplight the walls where I've indicated or you could light those walls indirectly by uplighting the shrubs. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

Evan K and markbebout like this.
  3. markbebout

markbebout New Member

Thank you so much for this! This is going to be a huge help and I really appreciate it. For the lights on the front porch (marked in green circles in your drawing) can you point me to the light type you recommend for that space?

Mesodude2 likes this.
  4. Mesodude2

Glad to be of help. You have numerous choices. If you have candelabra base bulbs you might go with one of the frosted bulbs like the ones shown at the link I've posted below, The same for medium based bulb, if that's what your fixtures accept. You'll want to choose something comparable to whatever light color temperature you choose for the rest of your lights (2700K or 3000K most likely). If you have dimmers installed on those switches, you'll have even more flexibility. HTH.
    https://www.1000bulbs.com/fil/searc...filter=(a_incandescent_equal_n_fq:[15 TO 40])

5. markbebout

markbebout New Member

Oh OK i understand now. The circles are just circling the existing porch fixtures, that makes sense! As for the colors of the V shapes you're using to indicate the position of lights, do they mean anything (yellow and orange V shapes)?

6. Mesodude2

I could have been clearer. Yes, the circles were meant to highlight the existing fixtures. I used orange to indicate that an alternative to uplighting the house directly would be to uplight the shrubs in front of those sections of the house. Hope that clears things up.

Evan K likes this.
  7. markbebout

markbebout New Member

I'll be sure to post pictures once I get everything installed! Thanks again

Mesodude2 and Evan K like this.