LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Lighting Plan - Need input!

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Ghost51, Oct 14, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Ghost51

Ghost51 New Member

I need constructive input on this plan! Any help or information would be apprecaited!
    The transformer will be mounted inside the garage and the main wire will run around 100ft to the last light.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what spotlights to use for this set up ?

HOWEVER, I am mainly wondering about the lumens...I saw the Infinity G3 (30, 40, 60 with 300, 450, and 800 lumens respectively). I am really not sure how I would even go about figuring or picturing what brightness (in LUMENS) would work best.o_O

Thanks again for ANY help!:)

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

Nice plan!

Since you have a fairly complex mix of beam angles (and maybe color temps), I suggest you go with the All-Star MR16 spots. By using MR16 lamps you will have a greater variety of wattages, beam angles, and color temps.

If the facing of the house is covered with light-colored shingles, then I suggest 3W LED lamps (300 lm) for the 38º beams, and 5W LED lamps (400 lm) for the 60º beams.

I would prefer 2700K for all lamps across the house. I would definitely not use the 2200K lamps on the front columns! If you want to experiment with color, I'm a big fan of backlighting columns with blue light. From your drawing, it looks like these are double columns with space between them. Using All-Stars (with blue dichroic filters) surface mounted on the deck behind (and between) each column pair might give the portico an impressive, regal - almost mystical - appearance. Use 7W 38º 3000K MR16 lamps for these fixtures. I've seen this effect on several homes and it's a real head-turner.

Regarding the spotlight you have mounted up under the primary peak on the lower left side, I'm concerned about this location because you are altering the angle of illumination compared to all other lights on the structure. As much as you try, there will be more brightness along the center of that beam and it will present as a diagonal slash across the facing under the peak. This would call too much attention to the light and disturb the viewer's appreciation of the symmetry inherent in the structure.

I suggest the use of a spotlight mounted on the top surface of the lower level eave - exactly below the top peak. For this spotlight, use a 7W 60º MR16 with wide-spread diffusion filter (with Micro-Lens™ Technology) to increase that beam angle to 117º. The result will be a highly diffuse illumination that should somewhat match (or at least complement) the illumination on the rest of the structure.

Hope that's helpful. Please post pics when done.

Enjoy!

3. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

Just to be clear on the columns suggestion. You would use white (2700K) spotlights on the front of the columns. And, blue on the backs.

Also, on the All-Star spotlight mounted to illuminate the top peak, remove the glare shield from the fixture to maximize beam spread.

4. Ruth

Ruth New Member

Can you re-load your pictures again? I think I saw them when you posted originally and was very impressed, but they seem to have "expired".