LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Lighting Large Oak Trees

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by datcope, Feb 9, 2019.

Share This Page

1. datcope

datcope New Member

I live in a subdivision that is encouraging 'dark sky' lighting solutions. If I understand it correctly, that would imply installing a spotlight in the tree shining down (I have always done the opposite). What VOLT product would you recommend?

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey datcope,

If your HOA is demanding Dark Sky approved lights only, we would not have a downlight for this. Because of the rules and restrictions for approval from the IDA lab, certain styles of lights are immediately 'disqualified'; spotlights, flood lights, well lights for some examples (fixtures that generally emit light directly into the night sky). While downlights can qualify, the restrictions surrounding them limit their appeal and functionality in regards to being an attractive, easy to install landscape light. You can see some of the styles of acceptable downlights here.

If your HOA is mostly concerned with making sure the light is directed downwards rather than the IDA nomenclature, I would recommend our Woodsman II. This fixture is specifically designed for down lighting; it has a tripod mount for easy mounting and preventing mold growth, it has a 40ft lead wire to make wire connections more convenient and hideable, and a hand-adjustable knuckle with interlocking teeth to lock in the aim/direction. As a solid brass fixture, the Woodsman II will not corrode and it is backed by our lifetime warranty.