LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Lighting ideas

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Jp274, Aug 31, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Jp274

Jp274 New Member

Hello looking for some advice on lighting ideas for my front garden area. I have a bi level style home with a small garden in front. The garden consist of a small 2 ft high maple which I would like to shadow on the house. Would a spot light or flood light be idea for his situation. The house sits about 3 ft behind the tree. Also in the garden I have several small plants fairly young trees just planted. What would be the ideal lighting for this area? Path? Spots, Wells?

2. Jp274

Jp274 New Member

3. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hello Jp,

Please allow me to offer some insight!

Given the narrow area, proximity and the current size of the tree, it would be best to use a spotlight with a narrow degree of beam spread to achieve your desired effect. Of course, as the tree ages and grows in size, you may need to adjust the light output. That being said, I would highly recommend either our lamp-ready All-Star or our Top Dog; these widely popular fixtures are highly durable, beautiful, and can easily be adjusted accordingly over time as the tree continues to grow.

As far as garden lighting goes, path lights are typically used for the wide, 360-degree area of coverage which they provide. They are ideal for lighting shrubs, flowers, etc. from above (extension risers can be applied for elevating above taller foliage). For uplighting the garden trees, you could indeed use spotlights or well lights; this would be more preferential based on the type of fixture which you would want to use (both are effective uplighting fixtures).