LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Lighting along a long fence design help

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Erick, Jul 20, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Erick

Erick New Member

Hi,

I have a long fence in my backyard and I'm planning on putting some bushes along the fence. We are considering to put some bushes that will block the view through the fence (maybe bamboo).

I'm still not sure if I should use spotlights to illuminate the plants along the fence, or to use deck light on each vertical fence support.

I currently have 176ft of fence, divided in two parts:

Left = 120ft (16 vertical fence supports)
    Right = 56ft (9 vertical fence supports)

Total line = 176 ft

The idea, is that the transformer will between the left and right fence.

Assuming I put one spotlight (i.e. Volt Fat Boy Spot Light - LED 3W bulb) or deck light on each vertical fence support (total of 25 spotlights):

1. What capacity (watts) do I need the transformer to be?

2. What is the recommended wiring method given my layout (# LED lights, distance to transformer, number hubs required, max distance of led lights per wire?, etc.)

3. What type of wire is recommended? (Not sure I understand the differences 8/2, 16/2, 14/2, etc.) Is it different if it's for spot lights (underground cable) vs. deck lights (cable will be exposed to sun)?

4. Given the bushes I am going to put, that will eventually cover the fence view, do you recommend spotlights or deck lights?

Attached Files:

2. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

Hi Erick,

Here's what I suggest.

1. Since you plan on 25 x 3W = 75W, you should select a 150W transformer - go up to 300W if you plan on adding more lights in the future.

2. On a long straight line job like this with fixtures fairly close together, I suggest purchasing fixtures with 25 ft. leads. Then, position a VOLT Pro Junction Hub so it connects 4 or 5 fixtures. In other words, position each hub at the center point of 4 or 5 fixtures. You take the lead wire from each of those fixtures and run it to the hub. Trim extra lead wire, but always leave about 2 ft. coiled under each fixture. You will end up with 5 or 6 hubs - each of them connected back to the transformer. Using hubs is a bit more expensive than buried connectors, but installation will be super easy and fast.

3. I suggest #14/2 for this job.

4. I suggest spotlights since they give you the most flexibility in lighting the plants. Bamboo would be a nice choice.

Please let us know how it goes.

Also, I invite others to jump in with their comments and suggestions - photos would be great!

Thanks!

Steve Parrott

3. Erick

Erick New Member

Great, thank you so much for your detailed answer!

4. WT Outdoor Living

WT Outdoor Living New Member

I agree completely with Steve with a few minor changes. When lighting in the ground away from beds I use the articulator almost exclusively instead of above ground fixtures. This allows you to maintain the yard more efficiently. I would also make sure to go with 60 degree beam spreads and use a frosted lens so that the glare is reduced. Always use the hub method and make sure your far end voltage is close to 12v. Even though the lamp has a large voltage range, they work at optimum capacity and last longer when the voltage is as close to 12v as possible.

Brad

5. Erick

Erick New Member

Thanks!!

6. Erick

Erick New Member

Another question, how far can you go away from the transformer (wire/cable max length) while keeping voltage close to 12v?

7. WT Outdoor Living

WT Outdoor Living New Member

150' max on the 12v tap. use the higher taps to extend your capacity of fixtures not to exceed this distance. Its all about load balancing.

8. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

Thanks, WT, we appreciate your participation in our forum.

Erick, please note that you get an instruction book with the transformer that walks you through the calculations. Here's a preview.