LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Lead Length

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Mutchinator, May 12, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Mutchinator

Mutchinator New Member

Hi - I am putting up a new installation and was looking to go with a hub style install. But for some reason many of the fixtures I am looking to use only show a 4' lead and not option for 25'. Do I just splice to extend length I assume?

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

You’ll have to splice. I’ve never understood why some fixtures only have a 4 foot option. The Fatboy (least expensive spot) has a 25 foot option but a higher quality and significantly more expensive VOLT spotlight doesn’t? Anyway, unless I absolutely needed all the features of a particular 4 foot lead fixture, I chose the most comparable 25 foot lead fixture.

3. sagosto

sagosto New Member

I am glad you mentioned this. I am between All Star and Lusitano and was leaning towards Lusitano as it is a bit more heavier but it doesn't have a 20' lead option. Given it's $6 or so per 20' lead, does this really make difference? For someone like me who is going with 40+ fixtures, it's an additional $250 for wire...

4. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Unless I was in love with a fixture or there was no comparable alternative, I went for the 25 ft lead wire option when offered. I can tell you that if I had to heat shrink 80 connections, I’d go bonkers. More important, between wire, heat shrink connections or wire nut connections, at best, you’ll break even cost wise. When you factor in your labor, you’re way better off just spending the extra five or six bucks, IMO.

5. sagosto

sagosto New Member

I am going with splice boxes so the 25' lead should be worth it. I wanted to go with Lusitano as Volt says it is the heaviest fixture they offer (heavier than All Star) and I thought it was a nice compromise vs. other manufacturers with a higher price point. However, that's moot given they only offer 4'. Volt says it's due to the lower demand...

Mesodude2 likes this.