LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Humming/Rattling Transformer

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by DigitalAA, May 15, 2020.

Share This Page

1. DigitalAA

DigitalAA New Member

I have been using a Volt lighting system that I installed about 4 years ago consisting of (12) Infiniti 30 spotlights and (4) Max Spread Path lights on a 300W Transformer (ATR-300-SS/VTR-300-SS) mounted inside my garage. The system is controlled via a switched outlet. Last year I sent the transformer in for evaluation because it was humming very loudly. I replaced the 300W with a newer 150W transformer (VTR-150-NG-SS) while awaiting determination on the original part. The replacement 150W worked fine so I shelved the 300W one when it was returned from Volt with no observed defects. Around 4 months ago, I came home and the transformer was humming and rattling loudly and was running hot. I unplugged it until now because it was too cold to troubleshoot outside hubs and fixtures. What I have observed is the transformer begins to hum then rattles about 5-10 seconds after being turned on. This occurs when plugged into different power sources. Voltmeter readings show 11.57 VAC on the 12 V taps and 13.68 VAC on the 15 V taps. Will re-install 300W transformer to see if situation resolves. Any suggestions regarding what the issue is? I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thank You.

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I presume these are issues you discussed when you had the transformer tested but I’m curious what your total wattage load and run lengths are. And what are your outside connections like, btw?

Evan K likes this.