LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

How to light the house

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Jason Tarlov, Aug 10, 2022.

Share This Page

1. Jason Tarlov

Jason Tarlov New Member

Hi. I’d like some advice on how to light the house, and possibly the wall in front. The steps to the sidewalk are lit. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I’ve diagrammed one of your photos to illustrate one possible lighting plan. For the ground level wall sections, I might go with flood lights as opposed to spotlights but IMO either fixture type would work. I also encourage you to review some of the dozens and dozens of threads that include lighting plan for various architectural styles. HTH
    IMG_7810.jpg

3. Jason Tarlov

Jason Tarlov New Member

Thanks so much. I think this is partly what I was thinking. The floods on the front walls were the tricky thing for me. These are just MR11 or MR16 lamps in spot lights with various beam spreads, yes? Or are the front fixtures a dedicated flood?

4. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Yes, the fixtures for the house walls would be spotlights. Again you could either use spotlights or floodlights on the ground level walls but I think floodlights would make your lighting plan more interesting by adding a third lighting effect. Yet another option for the lower walls would be hardscape lights mounted along the top edge of the walls. You could hide the mounting plates with pavers or some type of capstone if desired. Because they’d be flush with top of the wall, hardscape lights would show off the wall texture more (to the extent that there is any).

IMG_7811.jpg