LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Help for First time DIY Front Landscape Lighting

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Kevin Burke, Nov 16, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I had the same concerns when I installed earlier this year, Kevin. If your bricks are in bad or questionable condition, just don’t do it. It’s not worth the heartburn. Get advice from your local hardware store mgr if it’ll make you feel better. You may want to do some homework on safe practices for drilling into brick. There may even be tips in the website how-to videos or documents. Important things I remember: Use a decent mortar bit, don’t hammer drill if you can avoid it, do use compressed air to blow away dust, wear a mask (breathing brick dust is not good), use good quality anchors, and use caulk around your anchors (to prevent moisture intrusion). Finally, if you decide to do this, it’s worth spendIng the extra seven bucks on the telescoping extensions to create consistency among all the lights on your house, IMO.

It’s a shame the 2W don’t have a 15 degree option. The frosted lens is designed to only minimally decrease light output. Since the fixture won’t accommodate two and still seal securely, you might try placing the second one on top of the lens cover to see if that makes a difference. If so, you might just have to macguyver a solution for keeping the lens in place. Just be sure not to use crazy glue or anything that might damage the lens cover (and void your warranty).