LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Hardscapes in outdoor kitchen

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Dpends, Oct 3, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Dpends

Dpends New Member

I want to install some hardscape lights as task lighting and ambient lighting in an outdoor kitchen and wanted to get thoughts on size/spacing.

The bar is separated into two sides/levels:

1) The grill level is roughly 3.5 feet high x 2.5 feet wide x 9.5 feet long. The grill sits so that there is about 2 linear feet of counter space to the left of the grill, and about 4.5 linear feet to the right side.

2) There is also a top bar level that is about 8 inches higher than the grill level and is roughly 2.5 ft wide, by 9.5 feet long.

The lip of the top bar overhangs the grill level by about 2.5" and I want to install hardscape lights under that overhang to provide task lighting. I was thinking a 6" to the left and a 12" to the right. Would the 12" be too much for such a short distance to the lower bar (about 6" from the bottom of the counter)? Would 2 6" fixtures spaced further be better?

I also want ambient downlighting. I was thinking a 3" hardscape fixture on each end of the bar and two 12" fixtures under the high side. Would this make sense?

Finally, should I get the glare filters for this application?

2. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

Thanks for your question. While I tried to follow along with all your descriptions and dimensions, I don't quite understand the whole setup. Can you attach a picture?

In general, I like to see as much consistency as possible across a continuous surface. For that reason, I like the use of all 6" hardscape lights instead of mixing up the sizes.

Definitely use glare guards whenever the lights are mounted above eye level (that would be eye level of the shortest cook in the family :)).

3. Dpends

Dpends New Member

Unfortunately, the bar is in the process of reconstruction, so a picture would not be helpful at this point.

I guess the heart of my question was, if the hardscapes are being used as task lighting with only a 6 to 8" drop to the surface they are lighting, will the 12" hardscapes put out too much light? Would it be better to space them out more with smaller modules?

4. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

Yes, with such a low mounting height it would be better to space out smaller 3-LED modules. The beam angle of these fixtures is about 60º, so, at a 6" to 8" mounting height, the beams will overlap (and provide fairly even coverage across the counter) at a spacing of about 4" (for 6" height) and 5" (for 8" height). These are spacing values between the ends of each hardscape fixture.