LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Hardscape lighting distance

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Felipe Godinez, Mar 5, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Felipe Godinez

Felipe Godinez New Member

Howdy y'all!

I want to install the 6" rotatable light bar along a retaining/bench wall on a patio for a client. the wall is approx 30 feet long. how much spacing should i have between lights to provide a comfortable and soft downward pointing ambient light?

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Felipe,

The spacing of the hardscape lights would be largely preferential to the design or effects you were trying to achieve. A general rule of thumb that we offer is that for every foot high that a 6-inch hardscape light is mounted, you will get about a foot of light on the ground. If your client was wanting a consistent flow of light along the wall, you could essentially space the lights anywhere from 4-6ft apart. For individual pools of light, you would space the lights out even further than this.

For reference, I've added this recent submission of a hardscape lighting project. Here, the 6-inch rotatable hardscape lights were used also. Here, it appears that the client wanted a consistent flow of light around the cooking area.
    [​IMG]