LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Gutter mount connections

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by pivotalrex, Aug 23, 2020.

Share This Page

1. pivotalrex

pivotalrex New Member

I'm planning to add 5 gutter mounted spotlights to the house. I'm going with the all star mini spotlights, 2w, 2700k. For the second story gutter I will have one for each dormer, 38 degrees, and one for the peak @ 60 degrees. For the First story, there will be one at the peak for the garage @ 60 degrees and one centered over the porch just at the 2 windows @ 60 degrees.

My question is how to connect these. I don't believe I will be able to run a separate line for each of these. Is there an issue with doing a daisy chain for each run? I read the ace connector is what's recommended, can I connect 3 wires with these? And how do I keep the connection out of the gutter? I plan to run the wires in the gutter but not sure where or how to make the connections and keep them out of the path of water.

I used BVS2 connectors for my all of my current connections on the ground:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blazing-Sn...zqlpROnTPJm1V4uqMFwaAnL3EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm curious if these would suffice for the gutter and then attach them to the gutter support arms to keep them out of the path of water.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  2. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

Go with the ACE connectors. I did a double heat shrink wrap on my gutter mount leads. I offset the connectors so they didn’t overlap and heat shrunk the tubing supplied with the kit. I then slid a second 6 inch long, 5/8 ID heat shrink tube over the initial assembly and heat shrunk that. Lowes sells the larger tubing, so does Amazon. I have 2 wires running through one gutter, 4 in another, all dropping down the Pro Junction hubs next to the downspouts. I tie wrapped the wires to the smooth, not sharp edged, side of the gutter hangers.

To get the wires down to the ground, I tied a heavy lamp shade finial to a length of twine and tied and taped the other end to the lead wire. The finial easily cascaded down the curved section of the downspout to the ground and it was simply a matter of pulling on the twine to get the wire leads down to the hubs.

Measure twice or even three times to determine how much wire to cut to get to the hubs, then add another 3-4 feet. Assemble everything on the workbench, including mounting the spotlight in the gutter mount bracket before doing the heat shrinking. It’s a whole lot easier, and safer, working with a heat gun or torch seated on a stool than standing on a ladder at the gutter.

Evan K and Mesodude2 like this.
  3. pivotalrex

pivotalrex New Member

Thanks Robert.

Is there any reason that I shouldn't or couldn't use a daisy chain connection with the Ace connectors?

4. Robert Mason

Probably best to ask Evan that question. It's possible, but I'm not sure how well the heat shrink tubing will seal around multiple wires. Any gaps would allow water to leak in and corrode the connection. Bob

5. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you mean simply splicing additional length to your lead wires using the Ace connectors and then linking the lead wires to one another in a daisy chain. If so, I know of no reason you shouldn't be able to do that safely. The ACE connectors should create a solid connection.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Evan K likes this.
  6. Robert Mason

DryConn Power Connect 3-Pack Black Wire Connectors
    Item #926666Model #98105

These might work. From the Lowes website - "waterproof wire connectors". Bob

7. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Given our larger Ace Connector accommodates up to 8-gauge, you could in theory fit multiple wires of a smaller gauge. But, it is not something we have specifically tested for so we couldn't recommend it for certain.

A faulty connection in a gutter will more than likely pose various issues with a system given the risk of water intrusion- and the issue here, to Robert's point, we can only speculate if the heat shrink would properly encapsulate multiple wires.

They are designed for inline splicing and adding length as Meso suggested so essentially, designed to accommodate (1) wire per side.

Although the exact way to execute it will vary largely project to project, for gutter mounting, the best option for daisy chaining would be to utilize traditional type wire nuts as suggested or our Pro Junction Connectors. And, if possible, installing in a manner they wouldn't be subject to constant submersion or rapid flow of water.