LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

G2 Fat boy spotlight - stubbornly stuck

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Achitka, Mar 2, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Achitka

Achitka New Member

G2 Fat boy spotlight - How to open a stuck spotlight?
    I applied Vaseline on the rubber washer of the spotlight during installation (6 months now). One of the spotlights wasn't working and I had to open it to change the bulb but the spotlight wouldn't open. I had to use a screwdriver edge to open the spotlight (scratching the body).

Does anyone have a better solution to open a stubborn spotlight fixture?

Evan K likes this.
  2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

The G2 FatBoy spotlight does not have threads securing the faceplate to the body. After removing the thumbscrew, the faceplate should literally pull directly off unless there is something preventing that of course. Loosening the thumbscrew will also allow you to rotate the direction of the faceplate and glare guard.

Obviously, if this is occurring on more than one of your fixtures or you perhaps notice an issue with the machining of the stubborn fixture, please give us a call and one of our reps will be happy to help; whether its troubleshooting that stubborn fixture with you or, any possible replacements.

3. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Evan, I wonder if the vaseline disintegrated the rubber gasket on Achitka's fixture and after six months the gunk left behind had basically glued the glare guard to the body of the fixture. From what I remember, only a silicon based lubricant should be used on the threads.

4. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

That's a great point @Mesodude2.. An oversight on my part; many of our customers actually call the electrical grease we provide "vaseline" but, vaseline is certainly different from electrical grease. The vaseline may have very well caused the rubber O-ring/gasket to 'swell' per se, or perhaps hardended and the result was the difficulty in separating the pieces sealed by the gasket. Difficult to say for certain without having seen the troubled fixture in person but, a very likely contributor to the difficulty!

Mesodude2 likes this.