LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Do puck lights get hot?

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Robert Mason, Jul 28, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Robert Mason

Robert Mason Active Member

I'm planning to install puck lights in the soffit in front of my garage doors and can use the soffit trim edge and bottom of the gutter as a glare guard if I recess the lights. I can do that by cutting the soffit with a hole saw, mounting the light to the back of a 1.6 inch ID single outlet wall plate, using washers or nuts to adjust the light height, notching the plate for the lead wire and then installing the whole thing into the soffit hole. Such an arrangement could potentially shorten fixture life if conventional mounting is required to dissipate any heat generated through the base of the puck casting. Any issues with this idea?

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Mounting and/or recessing our puck lights in soffits is a popular idea and results definitely look beautiful. As long as you aren't planning on enclosing the fixture in any manner, surface mounting and slightly recessing the fixture in that manner should not pose any heat issues.

Mesodude2 likes this.