LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Design suggestions

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Jim30, Dec 3, 2021.

Share This Page

1. Jim30

Jim30 New Member

Looking for feedback on my design layout for my house. As the photo shows I plan on using 9 All Star spots. Three of these would be 15 degree 3W for the pillars. Six will be 38 degree 3W for the facade. One will be 60 degree 7W for the upper dormer. The house color is light yellow and white trim, so I am thinking the 3W lights instead of 5W, thought the facade is tall (10ft interior ceilings on the level). I am also wondering if I should place a second 60 degree 7W spot on the dormer to the right, though my intention was to focus the light more on the main entry. Thanks landscape lighting.png

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Jim,

I'd be happy to help with some general recommendations!

Seems like you have a great overall plan in place. 3W & 5W M16s are the most commoned for illumination directly on a home - 7W and higher lumen outputs are typically more ideal for large features.

For the 2nd story area to the right of the diagram, I'd recommend considering a Gutter Mount Kit Brass with a compact spotlight.
    Integration option (built in LED) - Atom Mini Integrated LED Brass Spotlight
    Lamp-ready option (replaceable LED bulb) - Spark Mini Brass Spotlight

For the middle taller portion of the facade, it's tough to tell from the diagram, but if that upper area with the window extends out to the end of the patio where the columns are then it looks like your approach could work if no gutters will be available there. Lighting from a distance can be tricky and is typically not recommended - usually for 2nd story applications its best to illuminate from the 2nd story (either using gutters or downlighting from 2nd story soffits). I'd probably consider a narrow beam spread (38-degree) for keeping the illumination more focused on the center portion/window.