LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Delay in lights turning on

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Bob Holt, May 22, 2024.

Share This Page

1. Bob Holt

Bob Holt New Member

I did a rough install on my new Volt/Costco low voltage landscape lighting this morning and I'm looking forward to checking it out tonight. The installation was really easy and I'm very pleased with the quality of the products. I have a question about the setup. The transformer is connected to a GFIC outlet that is controlled by a wall switch inside the house. To over-ride the timer, I have the photocell timer set to ON and the power toggle on the transformer is also in the ON position. In testing the lites today, everything seems to be working fine with the wall switch setup. However, I noticed a consistent 8-9 second delay from the time I flip the wall switch to the time the lites come on. That seems like a pretty long delay and I was wondering if that's normal. I'm using the Volt Lighting 150w SlimLine transformer with photocell timer, 3 hubs, 3 runs of new 14 AWG wire from the transformer to the hubs, 6 Volt Lighting path lites, and 4 Volt Lighting spot lites. The 3 separate runs from the transformer to the hubs are 25', 30', and 40' in length. Each of the three runs id wired to the transformer with one lead connected to the COM terminal and the other lead connected to the 15v terminal. Each hub has 3 or 4 lites connected to it with Volt-installed 25' leads. Aside from the delay, everything seems to work well. Is an 8-9 second delay normal with this type of setup? Thanks for any input or suggestions.