LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Connecting Hub

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Rahul, Aug 15, 2021.

Share This Page

1. Rahul

Rahul New Member

Is there any concern connecting a hub via another Hub (instead of directly connecting to the transformer)? Please let me know.

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Rahul,

You can in theory do this with our low-voltage LED systems given the wide input voltage operating ranges, but it is not something we really ever recommend doing. Doing so can likely lead to voltage issues given how the hubs are designed to evenly disperse the electricity to (7) fixtures.

If you had a hub as one of those (7) connections with even more fixtures on that second hub, it can lead to more pull in that direction and less voltage towards other fixtures - potentially causing some fixtures to look dim, not even illuminate, or lead to unpredictable results.

Mesodude2 likes this.
  3. KLP

KLP New Member

Oops, just read this. My initial plan has hub to hub.

4. KLP

KLP New Member

Sooo... HOW DO I DO a hub to hub type arrangement for future lights? Is there any other way than going from hub directly back to the transformer when I only have three inputs to the transformer?

5. Evan K

We always recommend running a line directly from your transformer to a hub.

It sounds like you have a 100W Slimline transformer with (3) COM and (3) voltage taps. As awesome as this unit is for easy installation and convenient control, it is a smaller unit not really intended for larger systems - this is where we'd recommend something like the 150W/300W versions which have more voltage taps.

The best bet might be to invest in another 100W transformer, which would give you peace of mind for using multiple hubs with multiple runs, and allow room for expansion in the future, say for your backyard or other areas you have not illuminated yet.

6. KLP

KLP New Member

It is definitely a 150 watt transformer, it says so on the unit itself, but there are still only 3 15v spaces in it.

7. Evan K

Apologies, I forgot in your other post that you had mentioned COSTCO fixtures! This is our 150W Costco transformer.

This unit is also really designed for small systems - the goal of the COSTCO kit is basically plug and play, no additional purchases needed; designed for smaller/ more standard size jobs. Ultimately, you'll always have more customization options purchasing directly from our website - which is typically ideal for larger sized yards/projects like yours. The COSTCO kit is still high-quality brass, premium LEDs with the same lifetime warranty - but for areas of your yard that require more customization/additional accessories, we'd definitely recommend using www.VOLTlighting.com

8. KLP

KLP New Member

Yes, I plan to get a flag fixture of some sort. I'm also interested in potential hubs by the unknown tree and the yew tree by the patio and the three yew trees because I may want to expand in those directions by going OVER the hill to the lower level with a few lights.

Sooo... it seems that every hub should be fed back to the transformer. The hats from costco are 5 watts, and the spots are 3 or 4? I have to keep the whole thing under 120 to make sure things work correctly.