LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Concrete Lighting Help

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Todd Johnson, May 18, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson New Member

I am having some concrete work done and what I thought would be simple has been the exact opposite. Maybe you guys can lend a hand?

I am replacing a front porch, walk path from the door to the driveway but I am also adding a direct path from the sidewalk to the front door. I thought this would be a good time to add some lighting to the path and the stairs. The one common theme I have heard is that it is a good idea to make sure the fixture has a rough-in housing so that the light could easily be removed and replaced. This is where I am running into a concrete wall. Pun fully intended.

I wanted to use these: https://www.voltlighting.com/landsc...-lights-led-brass-bunker-hooded/p/VHS-631-BBZ but this appears to be more for deck lighting than putting into a concrete step. I also wanted to put some lights in the concrete along the path but ran into the same issue. No rough-in housing on any of the lights that I can see.

Looking online, I have seen many projects similar to this and they managed to accomplish the same task. I have come to the conclusion that I will probably end up with lighting off to the sides of the path but I would still like some low voltage step lights.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey there Todd,

We have seen our recessed bunker lights used in retainer walls, decks, and steps (both wood and concrete). Projects involving cement or stone typically, of course, require a bit more detailed planning and labor. When installed properly for the application, the entire housing is simple to remove via the front screw holes. The faceplate itself is also simple to install/remove for inserting or swapping out the LED bulb. I apologize if this description sounds confusing; I would definitely recommend watching the videos on the product's page for a better visual and an idea on how to install! Many homeowners have also used linear hardscape lights on the overhangs of steps to provide step lighting. This could be another option to consider!