LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Cast brass Round wall wash

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Kevinss, Sep 15, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Kevinss

Kevinss New Member

I'm wanting to light up the front of my house with a gentle low light, and was thinking about using the round wall wash with 4w. I do not like the spots with the bright v and then no light, would prefer a more even light across the front of my house. Has anyone used the round wall wash?? And do you like the results?

2. Ruth

Ruth New Member

I haven't used the fixture you are describing, but I am looking for the same effect and the lights I just bought and installed last night, while lovely, give too much of a hot spot at the base - of which I'm not a fan. I was looking at the round wall and the gentle splash, but when I spoke to the customer support folks, I was encouraged to stick with the spotlight style ( I bought top dog mini and fat boy, the latter with two bulbs, one 60 degree beam spread) in order to avoid light going into the windows. But I think I am going to try one of the wall wash fixtures and see how it works. Does anyone have any ideas on how to work with the top dog and/or fat boy to reduce the hot spot look?

3. Sparrott4

Sparrott4 Guest

Hi Kevin and Ruth,
    The effect you are looking for is called a wall wash - literally washing (of flooding) the side of a house with light - without any noticeable edges to the beams - and minimal hots spots that call attention to the light.

Our round wall wash may give the effect you want - but it depends on a few things. First, it would need to be positioned at least 2 to 3 feet from the wall, tilted upward to extend a fairly even beam up the full height of the wall. And you would want to use multiple of these lights (if the wall is more than about 20-ft. wide). By spacing them about 20 ft. apart should provide a gentle blending of their beams at the edges. My biggest concerns using these lights would shine into the viewer's eyes (since they do not have a glare guard) and that you may not get the light bright enough towards the top of the wall.

Personally, I prefer using spotlights to illuminate house walls. There are ways to use these lights to eliminate hot spots and even provide a seamless wall wash across the front of the house. First, I suggest use of our MR16 Multi-Beam Diffusion filters with any of our MR16 spotlights. These filters are inexpensive, attach directly to an MR16 LED lamp, and widen and diffuse the beam with minimal loss of light level. If you start with a 60º LED lamp, the diffusion filters can widen the beam to as much as 117º with beautiful soft edges. The lenses are available as a kit or individually.

Regardless of whether or not you use the filters, be sure to tilt the lights back far enough so the hot spot spreads vertically the entire height of the wall.