LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Best Bulb

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by LarryB, Oct 8, 2026 at 8:35 PM.

Share This Page

  1. LarryB

    LarryB New Member

    Joined:
    Thursday
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I live in a rural area of Central Florida and have an issue with the landscape lights illuminating the front of my house. They are attracting insects which are covering the front of my house and eaves. I currently have 2700K LED lights. Can you tell me if there is a bulb that I could change to that would be less visible to insects that would help with this problem?
     
  2. Mesodude2

    Mesodude2 Forum Legend

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2019
    Messages:
    723
    Likes Received:
    291
    Your 2700K bulbs are at the lower end of bug light repellent range. The warmer you get, the stronger the repellent effect you should anticipate. Switching to 2200K amber bulbs would get you closer to the 2000K typically found in bug repellent lights. That is probably as low as you can go without turning your house orange. Color changing bulbs would allow you to choose any color temp you want and that might be the most rational approach. Alternatively, you could look for some color lenses that would alter the output of your 2700K bulbs. I don’t know what lumens you’re working with but dialing down the brightness could help and honeycomb filters could help too (by making your lights less perceptible to insects flying by at certain angles). HTH
     
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2026 at 4:22 PM