LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Beam Spread

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Jerry Galu, Jan 14, 2023.

Share This Page

1. Jerry Galu

Jerry Galu New Member

I have a project with two rows of trees and want to luminate between the trees with an in ground well light but do not want a lot of light spillage past the trees. The width of the planter is 9' and the length is 90' I did not see what the beam spread is and how far they will cover on your ground lights. If you could let me know if they are adjustable or fixed and what is the recommended product for this project

Thanks

Attached Files:

Mesodude2 likes this.
  2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Fellow lighting enthusiast here, Jerry. Based on the perspective of your photo, I'm assuming you're planning to install lights along the area between the two rows of tree (such that all of the trees are backlit). Correct? Regardless, you're presented with beam spread spread options when you customize your fixtures during the ordering process. Your available beam spread options for most bulbs that are 3w or greater (except for adjustable beam spread fixtures--more on those shortly) are 15° 38° 60° and 110°. As of this writing, the 2W MR16 bulb is the only MR16 that does not have a 15° option. The thing is, without knowing what you consider to be "a lot of light" it's hard to advise you on a specific beam spread to choose for your project. So what I would recommend you do is purchase one of the 20/40/60 degree adjustable beam spread lamps and test it out in one of your fixtures to see which beam spread comes closest to the amount of coverage you have in mind for your trees. You can then order the appropriate bulb when you customize your fixtures. FYI, I highly recommend that you take some time to familiarize yourself with the different fixture types (in grade vs well lights, for instance) because you may find that one type suits your needs better than the other. HTH

Jerry Galu likes this.